The classic definition of Enduro is an adventure biking sport, mostly on mountain tracks with timed downhills. It’s limited to mountain tracks, but the tracks can be rough or rocky terrains or even off-road.
For this purpose, the dirt bikes used are not normal dirt bikes but are called Enduro Dirt bikes. This sport was first introduced in Europe with a very easy concept of riding to the mountaintop and riding downhill with a timer.
Enduro is one of the most popular adventure sports and here you should know that enduro bikes are very different from normal dirt bikes and require a lot more specifications and Features to meet the rider’s needs.
Features of an enduro dirt bike.
- They’re inspired by MX bikes but are not the same: Enduro bikes and motocross bikes have some similarities, but they’re not the same. You will notice that enduro bikes are usually heavier than motocross bikes and equipped with heavier gas tanks, Engines, and other features such as thicker seats stuffed with foam and kickstands.
- Some Enduro motorcycles are street legal: Enduro bikes can be customized to make them street legal. Enduro bikes are usually easy to ride and can be used on roads. But there are certain features they need to be equipped with to ride it on the road. It’s important to use headlight, taillight, and quiet mufflers to make it legal to ride it on the road.
- There will always be a handguard on the bike: A handguard is one of the most important and safety features of an Enduro bike. When we ride on a mountain track, there are a lot of obstacles such as trees, branches, and other possible obstacles; therefore, a handguard is of utmost importance to protect the hands of the rider.
- These bikes have large gas tanks: Dirt bikes require more power for speed and endurance. Enduro bikes are required to ride on steeps and elevations and thus require more power for speed. Therefore they are equipped with heavy and larger volume gas tanks.
- There are skid plates: A skid plate is used to protect the bottom of a dirt bike. Since an enduro bike is used on rough, rocky terrains, it is always equipped with skid plates. A skid plate protects the frame, motor, and linkage from getting smashed up and bent.
- Specific type of tires are used: An enduro bike is equipped with special tires to meet the requirements of the track and rider. These tires have a greater surface area than the gaps in between.
What is Enduro racing
Enduro racing has become a major adventure sport with increasing enduro enthusiasts every day. The exciting go pro videos of Enduro racing have already filled the internet. The classic concept of Enduro racing was to reach the mountain top and then race downhill with a timer. The concept remains the same with some modifications in the track.
While the tracks remain natural terrains, artificial obstacles are Also introduced to make the race more thrilling. There are no set timings for an enduro race. They can take as little time as five minutes too long hours, like 7 hours. Enduro racing is not bland bike racing but sometimes involves many different stunts like downhill boulder passes, cut sharp corners, ride-throughs, and going atop obstacles.
Enduro racing is not everyone’s cup of tea and requires a lot of patience, practice, skills, and experience. If not done properly it can lead to serious injuries or even death in the worst-case scenario.
6 Best Enduro Dirt Bikes
KTM 300 EXC TPI
The KTM 300 EXC TPI is one of the most popular Enduro bikes with great features. The bike has a single-cylinder, 2-stroke Engine. The bike has electric ignition. It comes with a liquid engine cooling system. The bike offers a top speed of 120mph/193km/h with a dry weight of 103.4kg/228lb.
The front-wheel size is21′, and the rear wheel size is 18′.The seat height measures 960mm/37.8 in. It has 6-speed transitions and a tank capacity of 9L/2.38gal. The bike is available in three different colors, i.e., Orange, White, and Gold.
HUSQVARNA TE 300I
The HUSQVARNA TE 300I is popular for its great control and anchoring. It’s usually recommended to Experienced riders. The bike has a single-cylinder, 2-stroke Engine. The bike has electric ignition with an optional kick start. It comes with a liquid engine cooling system.
The bike offers a top speed of 71mph / 115km/h with a Net dry weight of 106.2kg / 234.1lb. The front wheel size is 21′, and the rear wheel size is 18′.The seat height measures 950mm (37.4inches). It has 6-speed transitions and a tank capacity of 8.5L / 2.25gal. The bike is available in three colors, i.e., white, blue, and yellow.
BETA RR 300
The BETA RR 300 is highly suitable for riders with short height. It’s famous for its light frame and counterbalance. The bike has a single-cylinder, 2-stroke Engine. The bike has electric ignition with an optional kick start. It comes with a liquid engine cooling system.
The bike offers a top speed of 95mph /153km/h with a 103.4kg / 2281lb net dry weight. The front wheel size is 21′ and the rear wheel size is 18′.The seat height measure s 36.6inches. It has six-speed transitions and a tank capacity of 9.7L/ 2.55gal. The bike is available in three different colors, i.e., Red, Black, and white.
2021 HONDA CRF450RL
The HONDA CRF450RL 2021 is very similar to the CRF450R Motocross. It has many special modifications to make it suitable for enduro racing. The bike has a single-cylinder, 4-stroke Engine. It has a Multiplate wet (6 springs) clutch.
The bike has a Full-transistorized Starter. It comes with a liquid engine cooling system. The bike has a Net dry weight of 291lbs. The wheelbase is 58.9 inches. The seat height measures 37.2 inches. It has six-speed-wide ratio transitions and a tank capacity of 2.0 gal. The bike is available in only one color, i.e., Red.
2021 YAMAHA WR450F
The YAMAHA WR450F 2021 Is the latest and most popular enduro bike. It’s preferred for its smooth shifting. It is updated in many ways like The bike is more powerful than previous models and has easy handling. The bike has a single-cylinder, 4-stroke Engine. It has a Multiplate wet clutch.
The bike has an electric Starter. It comes with a liquid engine cooling system. The bike has a Net dry weight of 262lbs. The wheelbase is 58.9 inches. The seat height measures 37.6 inches. It has five-speed wide-ratio Transmission and a tank capacity of 7.9L. The engine’s cylinder head is equipped with a redesigned combustion chamber shape and steeper valve angles. The bike is available in only one color, i.e., Blue.
2021 KTM 350 EXC-F
The KTM 350 EXC-F 2021 is a popular model among enduro bikes. The bike has a Single cylinder Engine. It has a Wet Multi-Disc DDS-Clutch with Brembo Hydraulics. The bike has an electric Starter and Lithium-Ion 12 V 2 Ah.
The bike has a Net dry weight of 237.6lbs. The wheelbase is 58.3 inches. The seat height measures 37.8 inches. It has six-speed wide-ratio Transmission and a tank capacity of 2.25 gal. The bike also consists of an external preload adjuster. The bike is available in only one color, i.e., orange.
What should one wear while riding an enduro bike?
Proper protection and safety measures should be taken while riding an enduro bike, as if something goes wrong, it may cause serious injuries or even death.
- Full face helmet: A full-face helmet is required to protect your face From any possible injuries or scratches, as some Enduro tracks May consist of bushes, branches, or other obstacles. Although it depends from track to track, it’s better safe than sorry.
- Safety Pads: There are different pads to protect your different body parts, such as knees, shins, and elbow pads. Pads may help you protect from possible fractures or bone and muscle injuries if anything goes wrong.
- Long sleeves and baggy shorts: Most people prefer wearing skin-tight clothes While riding bikes, but it’s better to protect your skin as much as you can. Full sleeves and baggy clothes can protect your body from exposure and prevent friction with the ground if you fall.
- Hydration pack: An enduro rider should be equipped with a hydration kit with necessities like simple tools, a mobile phone, water, and food.
- Eyewear: Eyes play the most important part, and it’s important to wear proper eyewear while riding to protect your eye from Dust, Debris, and wind to avoid any possible accidents.
Frequently asked Questions(F.A.Q’s)
How many types of dirt bikes are there
There are eight types of dirt bikes.
– Motocross bikes
-Hill Climb bikes
-Dual sport bikes
-Flat Track bikes
What are some of the qualities of an Enduro bike?
Some of the main qualities of an Enduro bike are listed below
1. Enduro motorcycles can be customized and made street legal
2. These bikes have large gas tanks
3. There will always be a handguard on an enduro bike
4. These bikes have large gas tanks
5. specific types of tires are used
6. They have skid plates
How much time does an enduro race take?
There are no set timings for an enduro race. They can take from as little time as five minutes to long hours like 7 hours
At what age can a kid ride a dirt bike?
A kid as small as a three-year-old can be introduced to an electric dirt bike. You can start training a kid with a 50cc Dirt bike at the age of 4 and remove the training wheels after practice and improvement.